Current available positions:
We are seeking a motivated, clean-cut, flexible, friendly, positive, team player for a the following positions:
Under the guidance and supervision of the curators, you will be responsible for the technical work and administrative detail of the veterinary care program for Theater of the Sea facility animals, including cetaceans, pinnipeds, fish, sea turtles, crocodilians, raptors and small mammals.
- Collect and process diagnostic samples, conduct in house laboratory analysis, maintain current organized medical records, filing and permits, distribute and administer medications and treatment plans as prescribed, maintain pharmacy, equipment and supply inventories, clean lab equipment and areas, organize and maintain blood bank, assist in emergency medical procedures and routine vet exams.
- Bachelor’s degree or Certified Veterinary Technician
- SCUBA certification and satisfactory completion of swim test preferred
- 2 professional references
- 2 years experience working as a veterinary technician or veterinarian
- Computer skills a must (Word, Excel)
- Must be willing and able to work weekends, holidays, overtime and be on call.
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including extreme heat and humidity.
- Must have strong swimming skills and be willing to work in water temperatures from 65 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and work in a physically strenuous and fast-paced environment.
- Must be thorough, detail-oriented, organized and able to follow through with completing assigned tasks.
- Must be able to manage own time, work independently, and have the ability to identify and solve problems of varying scope and complexity.
- Experience in ultrasonography a plus.
- Previous experience with non-domestic species highly preferred but not required.
Parrot staff is responsible for basic routine duties such as, shows, cleaning, diet preparation, public interaction, training, husbandry, and maintenance of all of our parrots and props. This is a full-time position and all applicants must be willing to work any days, as we are open 365 days a year. The weather in South Florida is hot and humid. Our staff works outside in these conditions, rain or shine. The cost of living in the Florida Keys is very high. The Florida Keys are remote islands about an hour drive from Miami. The job can be physically strenuous. Employees should be willing to relocate at their own expense.
Benefits for full time employees:
- Medical and dental insurance are available after a 90-day probationary period.
- Free banking at CAPITAL BANK of the Florida Keys.
- Eligible for retirement plan after 2 years.
- 20% discount in the gift shop and grill/snack bar.
- Free admission to Florida Attractions Association facilities.
- Paid half hour lunch.
- 5 paid vacation days after the first year; 10 paid vacation days for subsequent years.
- Free admission on Theater of the Sea’s Adventure and Snorkel Cruise (dependent on availability)
- Employee’s immediate family members are granted complimentary general admission to the park. Friends may receive a 20% discount on general admission to the park.